Roller Derby Test O'Matic

Turn left and talk about your feelings.

Forum > Ask a question > 30s or fewer, what about 30.5?

1. This comes from a report about a question asking "How many seconds (minimum) must be on the period clock at the end of a jam for a new jam to start [...]"

The rule: 2.3.4 - If 30 seconds or fewer remain on the period clock when a jam ends, there will not be another jam started [...]

The question: assuming your period clock only has seconds, this is fine, but what if you have an ace NSO who uses the lap-timer feature to get the exact time the four whistles end. What if they look down and see a time of 30.5? Is the cut off for "30 seconds or fewer" 30.00, or 30.99, or you you round?

I'd be inclined to think the cut off is 30.00, but if so why isn't it simply worded "fewer than 30 seconds"?

Likly to happen? No. Pedantic? Very.

2. It is worded that way because the rules were written by Americans. (there's a joke to be made there about English being their second language)

Realistically, though, it has to be '30 or less' because the time between jams is supposed to be exactly 30 seconds. At 30.00 seconds there isn't enough time to start a new jam. At 30.01 there is. In theory.

3. I agree there, but by that interpretation if the clock reads 30, we go again. Which, seems counter-intuitive to the rule.

4. If the clock reads 30 then there is only exactly enough time to have the time between jams, not enough time to start a new jam.

I'm sure there is some kind of science person term for the uncertainty of not knowing what the decimal place is when your measuring device isn't accurate enough.

5. After re-reading that first sentence a few times, that's a perfect way to put it.

You must be logged in to leave a post